Friday, March 03, 2017

Eleven Years

As I was sitting at my desk at work this morning. I had a glance at the date and thought to myself that I was forgetting something. Soon thereafter, my CML buddy, Wanda, sent me a wonderful email congratulating me on battling CML for 11 years. I had totally forgotten. It had not even crossed my mind today. I wrote her about how amazing it was that I was so surprised by her email and I had completely blocked CML from my mind. Perhaps it is denial. Perhaps it is just living life.

That is not to say that I do not think about CML. I am working on a trip to see Dr. Druker in Oregon over the summer. I have an upcoming appointment in May with my oncologist at Dana-Farber. I also have blood work every three months. It has generally been undetectable and barely detectable.

The biggest change since last year has been the switch to the generic version of Gleevec, imatinib. I was certainly worried about this change given Wanda's bad experience. I am happy to report that there seems to be almost no difference other than that the pills look a little different in color.

I recently has an imatinib level with Dr. Druker both before and after the switch. Interestingly, the generic appears to be somewhat more potent for me than the brand name version. A lower dose may be in order in the future. Fortunately, no additional side effects have been found.

Anyway, on this 11 year anniversary of my diagnosis, I am glad that I forgot all about it. May I continue to have many cancer anniversaries that are not in the front of my mind.

No comments: