Thursday, November 16, 2006

Obladi Oblada

It has been quite a long time since my last post. That is for a good reason. Not much has happened to me in regards to CML. There are many days when I don't think about CML or worry about it at all. It is interesting how CML has taken a back burner in many respects. I almost forgot my medication last week. Fortunately, I use a pill case that does not let me forget.

When I was first diagnosed, I went through a similar thought process that I suspect many people go through when diagnosed with a potentially fatal illness. I wanted to live life to the fullest and focus on what is important in life. I think I try to do this anyway, but in reality that is a hard thing to accomplish. I need to take care of my family and work and that takes a lot of time. My wife and I have been better about scheduling time for ourselves and getting a babysitter more often. We are also planning our 10th anniversary trip to Italy in the spring.

In terms of cancer news, I am doing quite well and just waiting for my next blood test. That will take place right after Christmas as I travel up to Dana-Farber in Boston. I am feeling good and my only side effects from the medication are muscle spasms in my legs and mild nausea in the morning.

I reported on my last blog about how proud I was of our Light the Night Team. As a team, we raised over $23,000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and we were the highest fundraising team in the state of Rhode Island. I was so impressed by the hard work and dedication of my team members and the generosity of the donors. Having such a wonderful support network makes dealing with this cancer nonsense that much easier. Although I am taking a short break from fundraising, I am starting to brainstorm about other creative ideas other than simply asking for donations. Although that seemed to work quite well, I want to find other ideas. I welcome any suggestions.

In the meantime, I am off to Chicago with my family for a conference and to visit with friends.

No comments: