Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Light the Night 2008


It is that time of year again. Light the Night is quickly approaching. For those of you who don't know about it, Light the Night is a wonderful fundraiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS). It takes place every fall in cities across the country. The local event is about a 3 mile walk down Blackstone Boulevard in Providence, RI. Last year, about 1000 people marched down this street holding red and white lit balloons. The red balloons signified blood cancers and the white designated survivors of blood cancers. For those who have not experienced it yet, it is a magical night and a lot of fun as well.

For the past 2 years, I have put together a team to raise money and get people to participate in this charity. Team Gershon has been the top fundraising team in the state for the past 2 years. I was so proud and honored to be able to work on this campaign. Raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is near and dear to my heart. The LLS funds researchers who treat and try to find cures for blood cancers. One of my doctors, Dr. Brian Druker, at the Oregon Health and Sciences University in Portland, developed Gleevec with funding coming from the LLS. Without these scientific advances, I would not be in remission now.

I learned a lot more about the LLS and their mission this year. I was invited to attend their annual Mission Days in Washington, DC, this past fall. I made several blog posts about it which you can read below. It was an inspiring trip and I learned that the society is committed not only to finding cures for blood cancers, but also in providing excellent outreach and services to patients and families coping with a blood cancer diagnosis. As such, I want to do my part to help out the society as much as possible.

There are a couple of ways to get involved with this event. First, please join my team. You can click on this link to go to my Light the Night Page. You can then click on Register to Walk. This would mean walking in the event and hopefully trying to raise some money for the LLS. Raising money is fairly easily with an automated system over the internet. All you have to do is enter in email addresses and a letter is sent to those people you might solicit for donations. Second, you could donate directly. Following the link to my page or anyone on my team, you can make a contribution online or you can send a check to me in the mail.

The other nice thing going on this summer is that there is a bonus if you raise money through the LLS website. You can get gas cards for certain amounts. Here is the link. With the price of gas now this is really nice.

The Light the Night Walk is scheduled for Saturday night, September 27, 2008 in Providence. If you cannot make this event, there are local ones all over the country, some on different dates. You can go the the Light the Night Website for more information.

If you need help with fundraising, I am happy to assist you as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jon...
OK, let's do it again... #1 fund raiser in RI!
Papa Bob

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all of your support! We really appreciate all the work your team is doing to help LLS.

If you're interested, we've just added some badges for blogs and social networking profiles for LTN. Take a look at our blog (click my name) to see them!

Thanks! Keep up the great work.