Sunday, November 04, 2012

Reflections on my 40th Birthday


So today was my 40th birthday. I had a lot of mixed feelings about my birthday and did not want a big celebration, much to the chagrin of my wife and mother. For some reason, I felt that 40 meant that I was getting old. While nobody likes to get older, I realized I needed to take a different perspective altogether. In many ways, I am lucky to be alive. I was diagnosed with CML over 6 years ago. Not too long ago, the life expectancy of someone with my diagnosis was 5 years. That would have meant that I was not likely to reach 40. That was until Gleevec became available. This medication truly has saved my life and allowed me to reach 40 and be upset about it. How lucky I am.

I did have a very nice birthday. I did some of my favorite things. I took a long bike ride in the beautiful fall weather. I got to relax and spend time with my family. We even went to my favorite restaurant, Guido's in Providence where I ate my favorite dish of all time, linguine with white clam sauce. You can see the pictures above. Needless to say, a really nice 40th birthday.

I am thankful for turning 40 and all the wonderful things I have in my life. I am thankful to my family for always supporting me. I am thankful that I can be upset about getting older rather than worrying if I will make it to my next birthday.

3 comments:

Dan said...

Happy 40th Jon - you look great, man! I couldn't agree more. It's great to be "upset" about celebrating your 40th, because it means you are healthy and around for your wife & kids, which is what matters. I count our blessings every day for the magic of TKI therapies and what they've done to transform CML. Keep up the great life, and the great response. I hope to continue following in your shoes...

Maureen said...

Happy Birthday! - 40 is just the beginning these days. My son was diagnosed last year at only 28, I no longer wonder whether he will reach 30 - but 40 for him is a very long way down the track.....it terrifies me.

cancer center tulsa said...

Happy 40th birthday. Its good to hear that you spent time with yourself and your family. Thanks for sharing information.